I was having rendering issues on Void Linux and the Cinnamon environment/Firefox, looking like this:
I tracked down the issue to the package font-adobe-75dpi and font-adobe-100dpi, but rather than touching these packages, I just removed some offending fonts. This is for sure not the right way to fix the issue, but it gets the job done.
rm -rf /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/ /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/
This should make it possible to pick up the other fonts on your system such as DejaVu and Noto and all that. After the procedure:
EDIT: I’m told the proper way to do that is documented. Untested by me.